Best Buy to stop selling CDs, Target may follow

In even bigger news than whether Target switches to buying on consignment terms, Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come 7/1. At one point, Best Buy was the most power music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays its a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company’s CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it’s planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.

Sources say that Target has demanded to music suppliers that it wants to be sold on what amounts to a consignment basis. Currently, Target takes the inventory risk by agreeing to pay for any goods it is shipped within 60 days. With consignment, the inventory risk shifts back to the labels.

According to those sources, Target gave the ultimatum to both music and video suppliers in the fourth quarter of last year that it wants to switch to scanned-based trading, with a target date of 2/1. But while it is proceeding to push DVD vendors to switch to scan-based trading terms (i.e. the chain would pay for DVDs after they are sold or scanned while being rung up at the register), it has moved the deadline back to music suppliers to either 4/1 or 5/1. So far, music manufacturers are not sure what they are going to do, but sources within the various camps say that at least one major is leaning no, while the other two majors are undecided.

If the majors don’t play ball and give in to the new sale terms, it could considerably hasten the phase down of the CD format.

Source

but cd’s are so pretty

“Only $40 million”. Whatever.

There’s so much greed in the industry (and everywhere really) that this doesn’t surprise me. I’m saddened that the streaming industry has taken off like it has, but such are the times.

Even Target is beginning to minimise their exclusive content musically. Their recent larger commercial releases have either had exclusive magazines, covers or posters instead of bonus tracks.

I’m sure CDs will remain, but I wouldn’t be surprised if collector’s/fan editions become the norm instead of standard pressing and with massive price gouging.

I knew this was coming from Target; my local Target re-designed their store and each time they’ve been doing it, the CD section has been reduced from an entire section, to 3-4 shelving units, to a half-wall. I hate this, because I much prefer physical music over digital music. Nothing like opening a CD case for the first time, hearing that crack and smelling that “new CD” smell.

Although this is saddening to hear, I’m ultimately not surprised because it is all just a repeating cycle. CDs replaced vinyl records and cassette tapes as the dominant prerecorded music format, just like Blu-ray and DVDs replaced VHS tapes for movies and home videos. With audio and visual streaming formats such as YouTube, Netflix, Spotify and Apple Music becoming increasingly popular worldwide, it is only inevitable that physical CDs and DVDs/BRs will eventually become a niche product (much like vinyls) or in the far future, completely obsolete.

This is sad. Glad we don’t have these problems with CDs in Germany.

damn this really sucks! I still prefer buying physical cds!!

Tbh. Thank God the Germans still buy CD’s, lol even CD singles. Funnily, in my nearest store they reduced the section for physical singles, but the Vinyl section got like really big. People are obviously feeling nostalgic (also thanks to TV/Cinema, like Stranger Things or GOTG) and stores like Urban Outfitters are delivering pretty neat versions of vinyls or even cassette tapes (I got a cassette of Kanye’s Yeezus there).

This makes me super sad. I love buying physical copies of music. There’s just something about it that makes it so much more special than just hitting play on spotify.

If I’m buying an album I prefer paying for a physical. Why would I want to pay the same price for a digital album when I don’t get to have the album artwork ect.

Welcome to the digital era. :confused:

Well, if there is some stores (amazon for example) where I can get the CDs I’m fine.

What I want to know is, what are we going to do with the “Target Exclusives” where they get all the extra tracks? Are they gonna start selling music online?

We’re already starting to see a shift in how they’re doing their exclusives; instead of bonus tracks, we’re now receiving alternate artwork or booklets that double as posters ie. Justin Timberlake, St. Vincent, Lana Del Rey, Taylor Swift, etc.

The revival of vinyl’s has given me hope knowing that CD’s will probably never stop being sold, but it all depends on the record labels I suppose.

// Who's Online (Guests Fix)