GLAAD Is Honoring Britney Spears With The Vanguard Award For Her Support In The LGBTQ Community

A legend! The global icon has influenced millions of people in the LGBTQ community, and she’ll personally attend GLAAD’s event on April 12 to receive an accolade recognizing so.

Previous GLAAD Vanguard Award honorees include Jennifer Lopez, Cher, Kerry Washington, Elizabeth Taylor, Whoopi Goldberg, Antonio Banderas, Drew Barrymore, Janet Jackson, Demi Lovato, Eric McCormack, Josh Hutcherson, and Patricia Arquette.

“She has consistently stood up for LGBTQ youth on GLAAD’s Spirit Day by going purple on social media to speak out against bullying,” it reads. “In 2015, she released a Spirit Day video and promoted participation in the anti-bullying campaign by organizing a meet-and-greet for LGBTQ fans, washing her stage at Planet Hollywood purple, and providing anti-bullying materials to concertgoers.”

“In 2016, she was among over 20 music artists to appear on GLAAD’s song “Hands,” released with Interscope Records to remember the 49 lives taken in the Orlando Pulse nightclub shooting. The musical tribute to the victims of Orlando, written by Justin Tranter, Julia Michaels and Blood Pop, benefited Equality Florida, the GLBT Community Center of Central Florida and GLAAD.”

“In 2017, Spears was among 140 leading entertainers including Jennifer Lawrence, Ariana Grande, Laverne Cox, and Whoopi Goldberg to speak out in an open letter against two anti-LGBTQ bills, which targeted transgender youth in Texas and were later defeated. Most recently, Spears sparked global attention when she wore a t-shirt stating ‘We Are All Dreamers’ and called on Congress to pass the Dream Act via Instagram.”

GLAAD also mentions her letter to a young gay man who considered suicide, and credited not going through with it to her music and lyrics – it gave him the courage to continue fighting. She wrote to him: “I was very happy to hear how courageous you’ve been about being openly gay. I’ve always been told as long as you know in your heart that’s what matters most.”

Most recently, for LGBTQ Pride Month in 2017, Queen B penned a heartwarming love letter to the LGBTQ community published in Billboard Pride, telling the community that their unwavering loyalty and acceptance uplift and inspire her. “I have a secret to share with you. You see it’s actually you that lifts me up. The unwavering loyalty. The lack of judgment. The unapologetic truth. Acceptance! Your stories are what inspire me, bring me joy, and make me and my sons strive to be better people.”

And here’s something you may not know. After a gay couple who met at the opening of Piece of Me married, Brit surprised them with a touching video to send congratulations and show her support for marriage equality.

“Honored to be receiving the Vanguard Award at the @GLAAD Media Awards this year!,” Britney wrote on Instagram. “The LGBTQ community means the absolute world to me and inspires me every day. I am proud to be an ally and I will continue to support equality and acceptance for all!!”

// Who's Online (Guests Fix)